Wooly Wonder Forums  
WW Home WW Store Freebies/Tutorials WW Gallery WW Membership Advertising Mommy Chats WW Boutique

Go Back   Wooly Wonder Forums > the knitty gritty > the main knit chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
jurassicsap

Default Gusset help on longies

Hello! I haven't spent much time on this forum, so I apologize if this is addressed elsewhere. I'm teaching myself to knot by making longies & so far have finished 2 pairs of capris. The knitting is good, fairly even but where kfab for the gusset that stich has a much larger hole and you can see the diaper through it. The second pair, I did the stitch much tighter and the hole is smaller, but still prominent. How can I make the hole size more even at the gusset increases? I had a similar problem with the wrapped stitches on the short rows but I found somebody's post on "unwrapped" stitches that I'm going to try with my next pair. I'm using the LTK picky pants pattern, if that helps.

This was my second pair, which turned out better than the first.
Thanks!
Amber

Last edited by jurassicsap; 09-02-2006 at 04:07 PM..
jurassicsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Ruth

Rep Power: 135Ruth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond reputeRuth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ruth Send a message via Yahoo to Ruth

kfab shouldn't leave a hole at all. You might be making your knit stitches backwards by wrapping the yarn the wrong way. Could you post a really close-up pic of your knitting?
I'm now a Wonderwahm (will be updating the site soon but pm/email me now if you want more info) Cheeky Knits
Peachy Cheeks Nappies My Blog
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
jurassicsap

Pic added. I just checked the pattern to verify that it was kfb. To the best of my memory, I knit the stitch, left it on the left needle, brought the right needle over and down into the back thread, wrapped counter clockwise, brought stitch through and slipped the old stitch off the left needle.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
spacestitch

Rep Power: 127spacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond repute

If I am not mistaken, it looks like you may have wrapped the yarn around the needle an extra time, and formed a yarn over. Maybe try a different type of increase? You can try a bar increase, maybe.

ok I took a look again, and I am just seeing things. Maybe try putting some increases into a swatch and see what type that you like.

spacestitch
spacestitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
jurassicsap

Hmm. So this is just what it looks like when you do a kfab increase? Okay, I'll have to play around with other kinds of increases. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying the perfection pants pattern to learn some more new techniques.
Thanks,
Amber
Old 09-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
spacestitch

Rep Power: 127spacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond reputespacestitch has a reputation beyond repute

My kfab increases just blend into the garter--I've never gotten any holes. I'll try posting a picture tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it!

Liane

Check out this link for more increases--the kfb video is toward the bottom, on the right hand side under "bar increase". http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...s/increase.php

spacestitch

Last edited by spacestitch; 09-02-2006 at 11:54 PM..
spacestitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
imonion
Fluffo's Fiancée

Rep Power: 229imonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond reputeimonion has a reputation beyond repute

i am not familiar with the LTK pattern, but have you tried m1 right and left?
imonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
pmcgary
Mod McGary
USM Queen
Fluffo's Fiancée

Rep Power: 324pmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to pmcgary

No that is NOT how a knit one front and back should look....
I do think whatever you are doing it is ending up as a yarn over ---either in the creation of the new sitch or when you get to it on the next knit round.....

Have you posted it over at the LTK forums? There might be more helpful stuff over there too. Just b/c they will all have the pattern.

Perfection pants is a good pattern too. But you really don't 'learn' a lot of new techniques...just the channel island cast on...Of course one can never have too many soaker patterns.

"Knitting is learnt by doing, not by thinking, and it is far better understood with the fingers than with the head."
Montse Stanley Creating & Knitting Your Own Designs For a Perfect Fit

Critical Thought....The other national deficit.
pmcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
jurassicsap

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look up the other increases. I'm guessing m1 right and left will be one of them? (I don't know what the "m" stands for yet).

Is there some way to close up the holes or reinforce the gusset?
Amber
Old 09-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
pmcgary
Mod McGary
USM Queen
Fluffo's Fiancée

Rep Power: 324pmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond reputepmcgary has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to pmcgary

a duplicate stitch will help close up the holes.

"Knitting is learnt by doing, not by thinking, and it is far better understood with the fingers than with the head."
Montse Stanley Creating & Knitting Your Own Designs For a Perfect Fit

Critical Thought....The other national deficit.
pmcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyPost New Thread